The Swensons

The Swensons
Est. December 28, 1999

Sunday, January 11, 2009

THE QUILT


I actually finished this quilt at the end of October, but, held onto it to give to Sammi on her birthday. (Yes, I was so proud that it was finally finished AND that it was done BEFORE her birthday...pretty far in advance.) I started the quilt when we still lived in Nampa..the end of 2004. My mom taught me how to punch-embroider (a skill she used to make me a quilt when I was 6 and all of our Christmas socks...it was something I associated with her and that I wanted to learn). So, I learned and then embarked on my first project - a Princess Quilt for Sammi. My mom made me a Rainbow Bright quilt when I was little and I used it all the time...all the way through college. (I still have it in my hope-chest). I wanted each of my kids to have that from me. Since Sammi loved the Princesses, I figured that was a good theme. And thus it began....and yes, in the end, it took me 4 years to make. Now, if I had just worked on it, being focused and faithful, I could have finished it in 6 months - 1 year. BUT, in my defense, we have had a lot happen in those four years: two kids born, 3 moves, Matt graduating...so, it took awhile. Well, I finished the last Princess, Ariel, in September and then the quilting class at my church met at my place for about an hour where Ruth Call, our teacher (she's wonderful!) taught us how to hand quilt. The next day, I had help from another lady in our ward...she and I hand quilted for a couple of hours. It was so much fun! I've decided that I LOVE hand quilting...it's my favorite part of the process. Well, I ended up quilting about 90% of the quilt on my own and finished it in October. Ruth did the binding for me (thank you RUTH!) and it was complete. It felt really good, not just because it looked beautiful, but because I stuck it out and finished it. Last year I decided to not add new projects, but to resolve to finish all those I have started in the past. And this was #1. Yey! I did it!!!! Soon, I'll have to start Maddi's....(she informed me that she wanted one to, but that she wanted one with the boys on it- a Prince quilt). Prince Eric and Prince "Throw-up" i.e. "Philip" are her favorites. :)

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Wow! I am impressed. Mostly that you have what it takes to stick to it and finish it. Maybe that is why you are one of my favorite people on the planet. Such a woman.

blair and maisy said...

You are so talented Dyanna. What a great gift. Your children will cherish their quilts forever.