
Nine years!! Whew! It has gone by so fast!!! Matt and I celebrated on Saturday since ouranniversary was on a Sunday this year. We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner (I know...not super-romantic, but the food was REALLY good) and ate and talked. It had been a bit of a rough day...Matt had planned a romantic dinner at the Melting Pot and such, but I inadvertantly messed up the plans because I didn't know that he had anything planned and had talked to Bonnie about babysitting, so he cancelled the babysitter he had, then Bonnie couldn't do it, so we were in a jam and grumpy (not to mention I was hormonal) and so it looked like it was going to be a bumpy night. Thanks be, we kissed and made up and things worked out...however, it was too late to go to the Melting Pot. I felt pretty bad about the whole mix up and of course, cried about it, but we patched things up and went out. Dinner was great and, we had agreed not to do presents for eachother - our night out was our gift - and lo and behold, Matt pulls out a box from Helzburg Diamonds. I sat there stunned and then, of course, got all teary.
Now, you need to understand the impact of this. When we were engaged we looked at rings and it was fun and they were beautiful. But, when it came down to it, I thought that a simple band looked classy and I didn't like the idea of us starting out in debt so that I could have something on my finger. So, after much persuasion, Matt gave in and bought me my wedding band - a simple thin, gold band which he had the jeweler put three small diamonds in it (this was his compromise). I loved it and have loved it since, never needing more. He, however, has always been a little bugged about it, and I told him (this was my closing and winning argument in the ring-issue) that when we could just buy a ring, straight-out, in ten years or so, then that would be the time to get me a ring and I would love that much more. SO......nine years later, in a dimly lit steakhouse :) I open a box and there is a diamond ring. It was beautiful...I felt stunned, ashamed (again revisiting the misunderstanding earlier in the day, not to mention that I honored our agreement to not get gifts for eachother...I stink) amazed and touched by his thoughtfulness and how much he loves me. *sigh* We had it saudered to my wedding band and they look PERFECT together. I'm not much of a jewelry person, but I admit, I find myself turning my hand at just the right angle so I can look at it and watch it sparkle. I DEFINATELY am glad that we waited and did it the way we did - it made it mean that much more. I love you Matt!!!
2 comments:
you guys are so cute I can't believe it has been nine years already!!
Oooooo pretty.
Post a Comment