The Swensons

The Swensons
Est. December 28, 1999

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Poor Peter

It was a very sad day for us yesterday. We got two baby rabbits a few months ago and the girls named them Peter (Sammi's rabbit) and Flumper (Maddi's rabbit). They were the cutest things; Peter with his darker gold fur, and Flumper with his light fur. Anywho, they had quite the set-up here at our house: a large cage Matt built in the side compartment of our garage (this is where we keep them at night and in the cold weather), a large "carrying cage" and a yard cage where we keep them during the day when the weather is good so they can run around and have fresh air. Anywho, yesterday morning I came upstairs from getting the girls ready and as I was preparing to take Sammi to school Maddi said "Mommy, there's a doggie by the bunnies!" I looked out and sure enough, a large white German Shepherd had somehow gotten into our yard and was leaning it's head into the bunnies yard cage. It looked like it was just sniffing the bunny, but I was alarmed, ran out and shooed the dog out of our yard. We have a chain-link gate on one side of the yard and although we close it, a dog that big could easily get it open with his snout. (we've obviously decided to remedy this problem after this discovery). Well, Matt had taken the day off (thank heavens!) and so he went outside to check on the bunnies while I hurried Sammi to the bus stop. At this time she (nor I) had any idea of what the dog had done. Upon arriving back a few minutes later, Matt told me I had better come look at the bunnies. It was so sad! The dog had bit off Peter's little tail completely - it was a little tuft of fluff on the grass. He had nipped off the end of his ear, and Flumper had his front and hind foot chewed up. They had blood on them and I felt HORRIBLE. It wasn't our fault (you'd think your pets would be safe in your own fenced yard!)but I felt awful they could yelp for help or anything. I saw the dog still wandering around our nieghborhood, so Matt and I loaded up the kids and the bunnies quickly, got the tag number of the dog, called animal shelter and the owner of the dog (not home) on our way to the animal hospital a few miles away. We got there and were told the bunnies were in rough shape, but the biggest thing they worry about is the shock...bunnies don't handle shock well. Their hearts fail. So, they were to be kept there overnight, sedated and given antibiotics and pain medication. Maddi, with her 3 year old concern and tact asked loudly if we could get a dog when she heard the bunnies were staying overnight. Nice.

We came home and worried about telling Sammi. This was magnified when we received a call a few hours later telling us that Peter had died from cardiac arrest. Flumper was doing better but they might have to amputate his little thumb on his hind leg, and his forepaw was hurt prety badly (the skin tore off, etc.) The doctor pulled some skin forward and stitched it in place to heal. He was handling the stress better and they'd let us know.

We also were told that Flumper would mourn the loss of his brother and that having another bunny would help him to adjust and heal. We'd keep them next to eachother and in separate cages to allow Flumper full access to food and water, but also allowing them to get used to eachother. So, when Sammi came home we told her the whole sad tale. She was very sad and cried and talked about how sweet Peter was and how she missed him. (yes, I admit I cried to - while telling Sammi and when the doctor first told me he was dead. He WAS the sweetest thing). Matt told her that Flumper needed a friend to help him not be sad and to get better. This helped Sammi knowing she would be able to take care of her own bunny again. My mom had come by with a card saying how sorry my family was about Sammi's bunny and enclosed some money to buy another bunny when Sammi was ready. It was so nice!

We got another call saying Flumper could come home that night, so, Matt and Sammi picked up Oreo....a black and white baby bunny with the floppy ears like Peter on their way to get Flumper. We also took Peter home and for FHE had a funeral. (I know, I know...but it made Sammi feel better). Sammi wanted us all to say what we liked about Peter...Matt Sammi and I said things like we'll miss how cute he was when you came out to feed him, and how he always let you hold him and how cute he was when washing his face. Maddi said Peter always scratched her. At our blank faces (Matt and I trying to smother smiles) she replied "No really. He did. Now he's dead." We weren't sure what the point was, but moved on quickly before Sammi got upset at the criticism of her deceased bunny.

Anywho, a lot of fuss over a bunny, but it was so sad and he was so sweet. Poor little Peter.

1 comment:

Chris and Jana said...

How sad, I'm sorry for your loss. That almost made me cry. I love animals. If I have any tips to keep that big dog out of your yard, I'll pass them along.