
Sammi is now a full-fledged First Grader! (No, Maddi is not in school too...she just wanted to be in the picture) Due to a high-number registration for first grade at her old school, Joplin, Sammi was unable to go back. (She was a transfer student). Well, our only other options were the school she was zoned for, McMillan Elementary, which a lot of people haven't many good things to say (plus, it doesn't bus her, so I'd have to take her which is kind of rough) and a year-round school Pioneer School of the Arts. I have heard great things about Pioneer - they are just like a traditional school, but have more focus on music, art, and creativity in learning. We never looked into it because it was a year-round school and with Matt being a teacher, we didn't want them to be on different breaks.
Well, with the new circumstances (Joplin let us know 2 weeks (!) before school started that she couldn't attend) I registered her at McMillan and decided to check out Pioneer "just to see."
The minute we walked in, Sammi's eyes lit up - there was art projects and fun things all over. AND when I looked at their schedule, I was excited to see that it was hardly different than Matt's. (she'd be in school 3 weeks longer than him and go to school a week before he does..I told Matt this and he was a-okay with it!) I put her on the waiting list (they do it by lottery there and then they have a waiting list for those who didn't get it). There were 10 total on the waiting list for 1st grade...so, I resigned myself that we probably wouldn't get in until next year or later. (although I really felt that this would be the best situation for Sammi) They said after school started, they sometimes had openings and they'd call.
Well, on Friday, I called to see what the status and lo and behold....they said they could take her!!!! Wohoo!!! I was SOOOO excited! Not only is the school great, they also have a bus stop right around the corner! AND Sammi found that her best friend from Joplin was in her class at Pioneer! It's been wonderful! Sammi loves her class and school and has adapted weel to being gone most of the day. It's still weird for me. :) I miss her but feel good about where she's at. Anywho...yey First Grade!
1 comment:
Hi Dyanna...your little family is so cute! I really like this blog thing. Mindy made me one so check it out. I miss you. Liessa
Post a Comment