As of this week, Charlotte is gaining weight well, she's a good eater and sleeper (especially if I sit and hold her while she sleeps. THAT'S been a little rough at times) and everyone in the house is in love with her. The kids have been wonderful - helping and understanding - with Eli melting my heart each time I see him. He literally just walks around the house all day, doing things with his big smile on his face. He cracks me up.
Anywho, I figured what better way to commemorate the one - week mark than a flashback of the birth itself? :)
As most of you know, 3 of my 4 kids were born early: Sammi at 4 weeks early, Keith 3 1/2 weeks early and Eli 3 1/2 weeks early. We don't know why and none have had any problems - they were just early. And so, my doctor advised me to be cautious and aware. My labors tend to go very quickly too, so that made him more nervous. Anywho, to make a long introduction shorter, I was very excited to have passed the 37 week mark, and to have NOT had to take any terbutaline. Woot! Woot! Although very uncomfortable at this point, I wasn't in any hurry....the pregnancy had been a good one.
Last Thursday, I cleaned the house and caught up on laundry. All was feeling good, but I was having some irregular contractions. That night, I started to think we might be going in...the contractions were more regular, with just a slight "bite" to them.I was undecided until about 10:30 at night, when instincts felt like I should call my sister and head to the hospital to at least check it out. I got ready to go and once my sister arrived we were on our way.
We got to the hospital at about 11:45. They checked me and I was already at a 7! My goal has been to have this one natural, so I was stoked that I was that far already.
They admitted us at midnight and we were ready to go! I wasn't attached to an iv - I got a hep lock so I could move around as I needed to. It was awesome - Matt did WONDERFUL. Those who know of my first birth with Sammi (that one was natural too) remember how the poor guy was in shock and not much help at all. He completely redeemed himself with this one. He thought I was crazy to do it without medication, but supported me and helped so much...even when I started weeping (yes folks, weeping) and bewailing how stupid I was to do this. He encouraged me, said I wasn't stupid, that I COULD do this and I was almost there and then massaged my back. Well, we did it. One hour and a half after being admitted, at 1:15 am, Charlotte was born. It was so cool and amazing. I was SOOOOO glad the labor part was over, but so grateful to have experienced it. Amazing. Grateful it was fast, because the intensity was rough.
Charlotte is by far my biggest baby - 8lbs 1 oz and is a beauty. I find myself feeling major de ja vu...she looks so much like Sammi and Maddi! She's a sweetheart and I am so thankful. I look forward to feeling more "normal" again, but am in no rush to have her "older". It's all going by too fast already.
The kids all adore her and we have time every day where they each get to hold her without the others in the room. Eli likes her, but only wants to hold her for about 10 seconds.
Going home!
Sammi made this sign for us...
We are so grateful for these sweet people that are our kids! Time is going by so quickly, that it makes us realize how precious our time with them is.
Here's baby Charlotte at one week old:
1 comment:
Beautiful baby, wonderful family. I love it all!!
Post a Comment