The Swensons

The Swensons
Est. December 28, 1999

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Chowder

This recipe is from "The Essential Mormon Cookbook" by Julie Badger Jensen. I LOVE this recipe book. Everything is GREAT! Anywho, I had a lot of people ask for this recipe, so here it is!

BROCOLLI CHEESE CHOWDER
2 bunches (about 1 lb) fresh broccoli
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup butter
4 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli just until tender. Do not overcook. (I steam mine for about 8-10minutes). Drain and cut into small pieces; set aside. Saute' chopped onion in the 1/4cup butter until tender; set aside.

In a large saucepan or soup pot prepare a white sauce: melt the 1/2 cup butter over medium heat, then stir in flour until well-blended. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and salt. Stir constantly (this is important! Stir constantly or it will scorch!) until mixture reaches a boil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened. Add broccoli and onion. Stir in cheese. Cook briefly over medium heat. Avoid bringing to boil (this will scorch it also).

Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat. Makes 6 to 8 servings. (this serves enough for my whole family with leftovers the next day).

Bon appetite!

3 comments:

mitzi said...

Dyanna--Your Adam and Eve costumes on your side bar are soooo funny! My family died laughing! Taylor was a little embarrassed for you. John says that he doesn't have enough guts to dress like that.

Matt, Dyanna and Co. said...

Thanks, Mitzi! Matt was a good sport :) I miss your family!

Masons said...

Dyanna, I made this and it was delish! You might want to add how much flour for the white sauce. I ended up guessing about 1/2 cup. Thanks for the recipe!